Screwing into loft rafters and chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

About 6 months ago I bought a 1930's house. I am looking to improve the loft storage a space. The loft is part boarded.

Is it generally ok to screw hooks into the roof rafters (to hang things), and should I be ok installing shelves onto the chimney breast? Note the render to the chimney breast.

Many thanks

For some reason one of the photos has rotated.

Sponsored Links
Yes to both, as long as you're not talking about any signficant weight. You need to fix through the render into the brick.

Who's Bob?

Cheers
Richard

It might be worthwhile your getting a HETAS chimney sweep to sweep and smoke test your RH flues, and sweep the LH flues. You could also get a view from the HETAS on the effectiveness of the LH gallows brackets.

The render to the chimney breast is irrelevant unless smoke is escaping or you wish to firm up the brickwork with raking out and fresh render?

Depending on the depth of your proposed shelf fixings, you must consider that piercing the c/breast brickwork might release flue fumes.

If you intend to spend any amount of time in the loft then, perhaps, install a CO Alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back