Screwing MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would a strip of MDF, in the form of white pre-coated skirting board, be suitable for use as a batten to which to screw brackets for a curtain rail? The wall over the window will not hold the bracket screws directly, and in any case the rail needs stand forward. The curtains are quite heavy and I am concerned that the MDF will not hold the screws either - is it a strong as real wood?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt use mdf as it is soft and hard to get a screw to fix into it. Because you have a lintel across your window its sometimes hard to get a fixing, what i always do is plug and screw a bit of 2" by 1" battern ( this can be a bit of pine and paint it) across the top of the window then screw the brackets to the pine, this is much easier then fixing your brackets to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back