Screwing Victorian pine floorboards back down - what about gaps ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not posted in a while - could do with some help on this please. In an upstairs room I have pulled up all of the original Victorian pine floorboards so that I could sister the joists etc. So, I'm nearly ready to put the boards back down and screw them to the new more level joists - my question is does each board need a minimum gap between them ? or can I just butt them up against each other as tight as I can ?. I am wary of squeaking etc. They had gaps before I pulled them up and as the floor space is now slightly smaller I can afford to butt them up now.

Opinions please.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
When laying new boards you normally butt and pull up tight with flooring cramps, if that helps. You can achieve the same result with blocks and wedges (block nailed/screwed to top of joist, two opposing wedges hammered in opposite directions, towards each other, to press the boardd together)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back