SDS drill confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to buy an SDS drill but quite confused by all that are available. Am I really getting much more with these larger 3-4kg models than the sub 2kg ones that resemble the conventional design of drill? I am renovating my flat so happy to spend more on the bigger type if it does massively more than the domestic look-a-like type.

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking, the heavier ones often have rotary stop on them so you can use them for lightweight chiselling,breaking of concrete or chasing walls or floors for cables or pipes etc. The bigger/better motors are also more able to run for longer periods. There are few disadvantages with a heavier model except(obviously) the weight and the cost. Personally I would prefer a cheaper good secondhand professional model such as Hilti or similar, rather than the cheap Chinese ones which sometimes don't have clutches. Having said that for occasional use, like you have in mind, they are probably good enough.

Most useful I'd say would be something like a Makita with rotary stop, around £100. Heavier ones (which I have) are a little quicker on big holes say 20mm and above, but how often would you need that? You can always start with a smaller hole and work up. AEG used to do one around £150 where you could swap to a normal chuck, which can be useful, though you can get an adaptor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. Will get the 2kg type and hang on to the cash saved!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back