seal for sink plug hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing my new bath room suite but my sink is leaking. I've fitted the new plug hole but water seems to be leaking out from under it.

Is there some sort of sealant I'm meant to use? the plug hole is screwed tight I'm afraid to tighten it any more in case I crack the sink

The water seems to be leaking under the rim of the plug hole

I did the same with the bath but it doesn't leak.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
did it not come with a thin washer that gos on the waste before dropping it into the basin hole ?

if not use some clear silicone round the waste then fit into the basin.

did it come with 2 thickness of washer? swap them about first then try again, that should sort it, if not sillicone it bt u dnt really wanna do that incase u need it back out for some reason

2 words. Basin Mate. :D

Such a simple design and cures the problem. No plumbers mait, no silicon, no chewing gum, no mess.

Sponsored Links
2 words. Basin Mate. :D

Such a simple design and cures the problem. No plumbers mait, no silicon, no chewing gum, no mess.

basin mate good for sealing the base of the waste but not for his water
going between waste and basin when the plugs in.

It didn't come with a thin washer. There is a thick white washer the same as the one underneath but if I put that on the plug hole sits up from the sink.

The washer isn't rubber it white foam and about 3mm think just like the one under the plug.

I might try silicone but as jordan1 said it might be difficult if I ever need to remove it.

u need to use the washer provided, even if it sticks up a bit, when u tighten it it will flatten slightly, did u not have a washer on inbetween the grating and the inside of the basin then ?? only putting a washer on the underside of the basin will not prevent leaking, i advise using the washer on top, bt if u really dnt like the look of it then itl have to be sillicone :)

Thanks I'll have another go with the white washer but some how I don;t think its correct as its slightly wider than the metal plug hole.

The plug fits in nicely but the washer hangs over the edge and seems to be too think.

I'll have a go too night and let you know what happens

-UPDATE- managed to get the washer to fit it just fell into place after a good tighten.

Thanks for the help guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back