Sealant doesn't seem to be sealing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just re-done our shower. New shower tray and new tiles. I've finished off with sealing around the bottom of the tiles and shower door, but the sealant has all lifted from the shower tray. I know it's leaking because about 5mins after running the shower a little bit, water was leaking onto the bathroom floor from under the shower door.

I used Unibond transluscent sealant and a Moretti shower tray from Screwfix. ANY help gratefully received!

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...<{9372100}/specificationsProductType=sealants

http://www.screwfix.com/p/moretti-shower-tray-square-805-x-805-x-45mm/47999

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/decorating/new-shower-sealant-not-sealing.294586/#2144600#ixzz1aZgwpLRZ

Sponsored Links
You need a Neutral Curing Silicone - that will stick to plastic - sanitary ones are usually acetoxy ( smell of vinegar ) and that won`t stick to plastic .

The answer is CT1 sealent ! without a showdow of doubt ! Trust me i'm a plummer :D. take off what you've done and start again, jobs a good un ! good luck ! onto next mission.:cool:

Sponsored Links
A thorough clean of the tray, finishing with a final wipe down with isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits helps.

Sometimes the remnants of a layer of release agent used in the moulding process remains on the surface of the shower tray. It's used to stop the tray sticking to the moulds in the factory.

Hardly anything will ever stick to that stuff, but a wipe down with alcohol dissolves the residue.

Plumbers Gold (or Plummers Gold :LOL: )

Specially formulated for the plumbing professional, PLUMBERS GOLD is a new type of sealant and adhesive based on STPA* polymer technology that offers outstanding adhesion to all sanitary, bathroom, wetroom, kitchen and plumbing materials such as hard plastics, acrylics, fiberglass, ceramics, glass, marble, granite, aluminum, mirrors, metals etc.

PLUMBERS GOLD can be applied to wet surfaces, will even work underwater, and contains Microban

Made by Everbuild.

I've used that Unibond stuff in the past and it didn't work well sealing my bath, same problem wouldn't stick. I have since always used Dow Corning 785, I swear by the stuff.

So if this sealant sticks to anything, what's the importance of removing ALL the old sealant. And is it really all? Or 'as much as you realistically can'?

So if this sealant sticks to anything, what's the importance of removing ALL the old sealant. And is it really all? Or 'as much as you realistically can'?

I guess because if you dont any new silicone will only be stuck to the old silicone which is coming away anyway and not to the plastic.

Try and remove as much as you can for the best seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back