Sealant/Lubricant for brass compression fitting on plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plastic pipe on which a brass compression fitting with copper olive is used.

I do not know what the of plastic the pipe is, although it's used for heating. So I'm reluctant to use my Jet Blue Plus, just in case it's ABS, PCV or CPVC.

Some places just say use ptfe, other say not to use that around plastic, or that ptfe doesn't seal joints well, it only lubricates. I want to make sure I both lubricate and seal.

Does anyone know of a dope sealant that is ok with ABS, PCV or CPVC that I can buy from screwfix, homebase, b&q or plumbceter - as I need to fix this today, to get heating again.

Sponsored Links
No, don't use jointing compound on plastic pipe / fittings.
As you have already said, copper olive and PTFE tape "if needed"

If the plastic pipe is used on heating it will almost certainly be either Polybutylene or PEX (cross polyethylene) both of which can have bad reactions with oil based jointin compounds.

I found this at tool station, says it can be used on pvc and cpvc "RectorSeal® Tru-Blu™ is recommended for pipe made of galvanized steel, iron, brass, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, PVC, CPVC, polyethylene, and reinforced fiberglass."?
http://www.rectorseal.com/rectorseal-tru-blu/
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Consumables/sd2711/Tru+Blu+Pipe+Thread+Sealant/p40236

Spec here:
http://www.rectorseal.com/web-media/dstrublu.htm

Thinking of using some ptfe tape with this ontop, just in case. It's embedded in a plaster wall, don't want any chance of a leak.

Sponsored Links
Professionals don't want to bury compression fittings in walls!

Or use them in any area where there is no inspection access.

Professionals don't want to bury compression fittings in walls!

Or use them in any area where there is no inspection access.
I know, I'm furious that the last builder who did my heating did this :( I only just found out once the leak appeared in the wall and I dug out the plaster. I'm not in the trade and I know that pipe connections not accessible should be welded. I would love to remove the plastic pipe and do it properly without compression joints, but it runs under a concrete and tiled path, so the cost would be prohibitive :(

That's why a heating engineer is better than a builder!

I know, I'm furious that the last builder who did my heating did this :( I only just found out once the leak appeared in the wall and I dug out the plaster. I'm not in the trade and I know that pipe connections not accessible should be welded. I would love to remove the plastic pipe and do it properly without compression joints, but it runs under a concrete and tiled path, so the cost would be prohibitive :(

It's your own fault for using a 'Builder'!! Only qualified a Plumber & Heating Engineer should do installation work of that nature. Most cowboy builders are too thick or too tight fisted to pay for a qualified installer.
Did you have a Small Works Contract with this 'Builder' or did you just get the whole lot done on the cheap by the lowest price chancer you could find??? Paid for a Kia & expecting a Merc!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back