Sealed heating system basic question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do sealed heating systems (ie with a combi, or a system boiler) reach temperatue and get hotter quicker than older conventional open vented systems??

Sponsored Links
No you are still just taking the energy from the gas and putting that into the water.

In theory pressurised water has a higher boiling point so the radiators could be made hotter without the water boiling but I suspect the realativly low pressure in the system will make this effect very small.

ok, thanks for your help.

I just thought as it was higher pressure, and boiling point was lower at a sealed pressure, then it may get quicker faster. Open vented systems usually have about 0.2-0.4 bar from header tank to downstairs rads in a normal 3 bed semi. In a sealed system it is usually 2 bar when heated or 2.5 bar even. Thus the reason for my question.

Thanks for your help once again.

Sponsored Links
Though there is no technical or scientific reason why sealed systems would warm up quicker, wherever I have changed a system from open to sealed, they seem to respond better.
Sealed systems are less prone to corrosion, and are likely to keep performing better compared to open vent systems.

What made you ask the question?

If all the stats in the system are working, a sealed system should not get hotter than an open vent one or vice-versa. They may get hotter quicker and lose less heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back