Gas System Boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently I have an oil fired open vented heating and hot water system with 2 water tanks. Recently we had gas connected to the property and I am wanting to switch over to a Gas system preferably sealed heating and hot water system.

As I want to do this in stages, is it possible to get the boiler switched over to the open vented system first, and then change the tank setup at a later date i.e. are there system boilers out there that can do a open vented and sealed system?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would install a system boiler at the outset, because the work would be pretty much the same as installing an open vented one. Assuming you have an adjacent mains water supply, the only other extra work would be removing one of the tanks that presently feeds the oil boiler.

Then the hot water cylinder and associated tank could be changed over to a non vented system at your convienience.

Hi thanks for that. To add to my woes I believe I am on a one pipe system to. Is it necessary to change all the pipework to?

An Intergas boiler is very flexible about how it will work on OV systems and has a five year warrantee.

The one pipe is better replaced but if you are reasonably happy it could still be used. It all depends on details.

What I would do in a small house is to add a big central rad in the hall connected to the boiler and use that to generally provide a lot of heat so the short comings in the one pipe are minimised.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Having a combi could also provide hot water as tanks are being installed etc.

Tony

Hi there

I am a bit reluctant to have a combi as I never liked the pressure drops in hot water especially when upstairs, also it will be living in a boiler house out the back of the house, not sure if that makes a difference but I just thought a system boiler would be better.

I am considering keeping the one pipe as it does get very hot still all around the house, we may extend the house and new radiators make the problem worse, although I am thinking it could still be ok.

I am thinking of getting a big cast iron rad for the kitchen, when you say connect it to the boiler do you mean in a different way to normal?

Any new rads would be fitted in the usual way and not added to a one pipe loop.

I only suggested the combi as a way to enable hot water to be continued when tanks are chganged.

With an Intergas its little more to buy. Also many advantages feeding the kitchen from a combi.

Tony

Go straight for system boiler and flow and return pipe system.
Get it over with no sense in messing about.
Easy to do. Personally I'd stick with the oil.
Oil boilers are extremely reliable and robust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back