Changing a very low output system boiler?

As a rule of thumb electricity is three times the cost of gas.

So, if you spend £300 a year on gas for heating (excluding any cooking use) that would be about £900 on electricity, take into account an average 80% efficiency for gas and 100% efficiency for electricity then that's £720 a year for electricity.

Then you can also subtract a portion of the cost saving made by purchasing an electric boiler over a gas one, the cost of your annual boiler service, and the standing charge for gas if you don't need to keep the gas supply connected for cooking appliances.

If you are planing to sell up and move in the future, electric heating may put prospective buyers off though.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I was thinking might do the rough calculation.... I only use just over 5500 KWh of gas per year, wonder how much the extra cost of an electric boiler will compare to gas over say 5 years to the cost saving of a cheaper electric boiler (compared to a heat only gas boiler) and the bigger saving from fixing/plumbing it all in myself and the 100% efficency compared to the gas boiler with no servicing (minus cost of the electrician to do the final wiring)
do the maths, FYI I pay 2.897p for a kWh of gas compared to 14.49p for a kWh of electric so it would cost approximately 5 times more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back