New central heating considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a gas open-vented central heating system with radiators (10mm pipework) in a house built in 1988.

I'm thinking of having the boiler changed and swapping to a sealed system (to increase shower pressure).

Will this simply invovle a flush out of the system then changing the boiler and the tanks?

Would I be better sticking with the open-vented and installing pumps to increase the pressure for the two showers?

Sponsored Links
Swapping to a sealed system wont increase pressure at the showers! A sealed system refers to the CH/HW system being pressurised, negating the need for the open vent and F+E cistern. I think you may be referring to unvented hot water? If the current boiler and system is ok, then pumped showers by far the cheapest option.

If you need a new boiler and the existing rads cater adequately for your heating needs, (especially in present conditions!), then maybe worth changing to a sealed heating system. Having an unvented HW cylinder fitted at the same time should give you superior hot water pressure, and the tanks can be removed. A combi may also be an option, although all options have their pro's and con's. (and costs....!)

However before even contemplating anything you need to ascertain the incoming water supply is sufficient, no point spending a lot of money upgrading if the water supply into the property is not man enough to give you any noticeable benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back