Old central heating to new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old open vented central heating system from around the 1960's
//media.diynot.com/192000_191914_49230_21769704_thumb.jpg
My system is the same as shown in the image.
I would like to replace my boiler and water tank but without to much pipe change. Is it ok to instal the new Pump and Mid pos valve downstairs above the new boiler and pipe these all into the existing pipework coming from my old boiler.
New boiler will be a glowworm HXI.
Thanks for your help
CLive

Sponsored Links
Your link does not appear correctly. Many boilers are installed that way. Is it remaining open vented or is your installer sealing the system?

Thanks for your reply, i will be keeping an open vented system.
could you give me some clue as to how my pipe layout would be above the boiler to the new pump, valve and existing pipes.
I have 2 28mm for the hot water, and 2 22mm.

Many thanks for your help.
Let me know if the link is still a problem

Sponsored Links
CB - no you can't do that, you have to have a free path between boiler and open vent, which means moving some plumbing.
If you seal the system it does away with that requirement. TBH it's unlikely to blow apart. You can get an old rad valve leaking, or perhaps an old rusty rad, but those aren't hard to fix and need it anyway.

Thanks for the replies, can anybody reccomend a good 4 pipe system boiler. I need around 24kw. I was looking at the GlowWorm boilers before.
Thanks

Viessman 100 and 200 fit the bill... With the 200 you have to use the cylinder sensor IIRC, and the system must be sealed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back