sealing and skimming new bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, This is my first post as I can normally find the answers to my questions in the forum!

I have just put up a new plasterboard ceiling in my bathroom, Unfortunately I did not use the green moisture resistant plasterboard, just the normal stuff.

I am about to skim the ceiling and was wondering if I need to seal the plasterboard with Gyproc sealant first? or as I'm skimming it and then painting it, is that enough to protect it? is Gyproc sealant used when people paint directly onto the plasterboard?

Or, should I give the plasterboard a few coats of watered down pva, like i have done when i have re-skimmed existing plaster walls?

You thoughts are most welcome!

Sponsored Links
No need to seal new plasterboard. Just tape the joints and then plaster away. When the ceiling is painted, as long as you use a decent paint and have adequate ventilation in the bathroom, there's no problem.... Always seal new plaster though before you paint it.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for your reply roughcaster

Joints are taped and ready for skimming, I am presuming I have adequate ventilation, The bathroom does not really get steamed upand I have 2 velux's in the roof with vents I can open if required.

When you say "Always seal new plaster though before you paint it. "

You mean after I have skimmed the ceiling, I need to seal it? what should I use to seal it? Gyproc sealer? PVA?

Sponsored Links
Hi B/Matt,
Yes, before you paint onto new plaster, it is always advisable to seal it ,either with a plaster sealer or to put on a "mist coat". DONT USE PVA THOUGH.......A mist coat is a thinned down coat of "matt" emulsion. It will tell you on the container the ratio to use to thin down the emulsion. The mist coat cuts down the suction of the new plaster, and allows the other coats of paint to spread evenly/easier.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back