Sealing Fireplace hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did search but most posts seemed to relate to proper chimneys :

We have had our gas fire removed as it was seldom used, and have been left with a hole in the internal block work and plaster board.

House was built in 1997, so is brick outer leaf, block inner, seemingly no cavity insulation. Internal block leaf has metal "lintel" (just a heavy strip) over the hole tied into the blocks either side.

The gas fire was a powered flue type, all that has been removed and outer leaf bricked up.

My plan was to block inside with a wooden frame, kingspan type insulation, and plaster board, just in case anyone ever wanted to reinstate a balnaced flue type fire or similar (going through outer leaf would be minimal issue) - does that sound OK?

Do I need to vent the inside - the cavity has air bricks etc, it's not as if it's a chimney or anything?

Sponsored Links
Sounds fine to me, i would insulate it and board over it, the air bricks are mainly there so the air between the cavity can circulate preventing any dampness on either the internal or external walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back