Is this water ingress normal/problematic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a building where one wall is coursed stone on the outer leaf, there's not much of a cavity (it doesn't look like it was supposed to be a cavity.. more like the wall was filled with stone rubble?) and then an inner leaf of well laid, tightly coursed engineering brick with lime mortar. Vents are built in, a sort of long S shape with an airbrick at the bottom on the outside and an open hole about 4 feet above in the inside

The elevation is very exposed, and one a recent day when the wind was about 60mph and the rain was hammering down I noted that the base of the engineering brick looked a bit damp, and looking inside the vents I could see that the outer stone leaf was running wet on the inside, a bit like one might expect in a cave - a film of surface water on the stone that seemed to be flowing

This entire wall (stone+brick) will form the outer leaf of a conversion of he building to residential, by putting a timber frame box up inside. Should I be looking to re-point or treat the front stone wall in some way to make it more resistant to water ingress? the pointing is in a poor state in places, but for the amount of water that seemed to be inside the stone leaf of the wall, there wasn't a great deal on the inner surface of the engineering brick..

Sponsored Links
Probably a rare event caused by the unusually harsh weather, 99% of the time it will probably be ok. Given that the cavity is vented, it should be alright.

The new timber frame should be given a breather membrane though, and lap a dpc up behind it if possible. Also 'prufe the bottom few courses of the engi brick.

Note the use of the word 'probably'... I don't think anyone can know for sure, but the detailing of the refurb and good workmanship will cover your ar5e.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back