secondary return connect to shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ive just had a unvented 250 l cylinder fitted, it has been suggested that I link the secondary return directly to the shower in bathroom just above the cylinder ,is it worth it ?

Sponsored Links
I assume that you mean use the secondary return connection as a dedicated feed for the shower. It would mean that hot draw offs elsewhere in the property would cause less temperature fluctuation at the shower.

Mike

Thanks Mike, does this mean if we use the secondary return for the shower and HW is drawn off elsewhere , that the pressure reducing valve for the cold main would then allow increased mains pressure to compensate for both the shower and other draw off. Paul

No. It's about flow not pressure. Still a good idea to have a separate take off for a shower though.

Mike

Sponsored Links
won't this return be lower in the cylinder where the temperature will be lower???

Marginally but it will still be above the stat so the temperature will be above the set temperature.

Mike

A secondary circuit is a loop, you can tee off it anywhere, assuming it's been installed correctly.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

A secondary circuit is a loop, you can tee off it anywhere, assuming it's been installed correctly.

I think you'll find the OP means the tapping not from the loop.

Hi Ive just had a unvented 250 l cylinder fitted, it has been suggested that I link the secondary return directly to the shower in bathroom just above the cylinder ,is it worth it ?

Depending on the size of your house which I assume is bigger than the average home would not be wise using the secondary return to feed your shower, depending on what your shower is? probably thermostatic and depending on the size of hot water pipe required to feed it. 15mm secondary return? Have it plumbed in properly would be your best bet. ;)

Having it connected in the return tapping is stupid.

Cut a tee close to the top if you want a separate supply.

erm not sure now , the secondary return will be capped if not used for the shower, the kitchen and 3 bathrooms are located near the tank, shower normal thermostatic but with two shower heads which can be on at the same time. So is it yes or no ? paul

It's a no unless you have an secondary circuit fitted, which is what should happen with that size of draw-off.

Just in case you are thinking DIY, you need a G3 ticket to work on un-vented cylinders.

waste of time unless you have a big house and it will get rid of the cold leg of water. also req a bronze pump fitting

i would not bother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back