Selecting a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a primatic cylinder (see below!!!!) and have been told that we cannot have a shower that needs a pump, as this could affect the water bubble inside the cylinder. I assume this means a power shower, that runs off the cylinder hot water. Does anyone know if it would be okay to have an electric shower, with a pump, that runs off the direct mains. Can you get them, or are we restricted to a normal electric shower, off the mains. Any comments would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If you get a GOOD electric shower, anything over about 10Kwatts and run it off mains pressure you should have quite a good shower...
Choice of Shower is very important when it comes to electric as the design of the heating element can make all the difference.
Do you have a plumb center near by? If so pop in and ask their advice - see what the professionals buy...

Intrigued by 'design of heating element can make all the difference'. All any heating element does is heat water passing by it. Providing it heats at rated power that is all that is required!

Pressure drop is also important - you don't want to reduce the flow rate any more than necessary......

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info above. What with 'pressure drop' and other info, I'm tempted to stay with the bath!!! Thanks anyway, guess I'll trawl the net for electric showers.

Don't forget about the electrical power requirements of your new shower. A 10 kW
shower would need 10 sq mm Twin & Earth
cable, and a 45 Amp fuse or circuit breaker.
If you are replacing an old existing shower,
you would need to check that the existing
cable and fuse/breaker are adequate for your
new one.

I can recommend an excellent electric shower which was a Mira but can't remember the model.

It was about £350 and was as good as many a mains shower. It lasted 5 years now probs and could use 6mm cable, overall length and bends permitting.

They still make it but I've moved. It really was good even in winter- it had buttons not dials.

once again, thanks to all. I've only been using this site a short while. It's been really useful so far (apart from showing how little I know!!!)

In my humble opinion the Mira Sport 10.8kw electric shower is the best (and most reliable)on the market, and will give you a good shower even in winter.
The other option is a little more drastic, and ultimately more expensive, that is to scrap your existing heating system and install a combi boiler. You will get a really good shower, plus the added advantage of a modern efficient heating system.
Just a thought...:eek:)

Combi boiler would be a good choice if you don't have a family. If you do you need stored water - go for a mains pressure cylinder fantastic showers fill a bath in a minute +++++
Mike

Got to agree with Mike here. I had a "thermal store" heating system, which operated at mains pressure, baths showers and heating all brilliant. Trouble was this system was fitted in the house that I bought as a new build, and the builder didn't install corrosion inhibitor, and after 10 trouble free years the cylinder perforated in the depth of winter, causing very expensive damage to living room hall stairs and landing. Cost of replacement for cylinder alone?? Try £750 ex factory!!.

Now got a conventional system, everthing works fine, shower a bit weak but plenty hot enough. Cost me £150 and a very cold week to put in. Running costs have reduced by a third!!

In my old house we had a primatic system, and it worked ok but we needed a shower with 3 perpetually grimy kids... We replaced the cylinder, which was in an airing cupboard off the main bedroom, with cylinder and tanks in the roof space, well insulated of course, and this freen the airing cupbard space which we converted into an en-suite shower. We had to arrange it so that the door closed the shower to the room and fitted a ventilating fan inside to take the steam away. Really helped to sell the house. Went on the market on Monday, sold by Wednesday!! (in 1992).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back