Selecting and installing a wood burner stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grateful for any recommendations as to wood burner makes - I need an 8 - 10kw output stove. The stove is to be installed in a barn conversion where the chimney flue has a pumice? liner. I'm fairly handy so am up for installing it myself but one supplier has intimated that I need a certificate of installation (building regs) to satisfy forthcoming HIPS requirements.

Any guidance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It will depend on what your looking for a wood stove will burn seasoned logs or man made (pressed sawdust) logs. These are flued using a conventional chimney arrangement. There are now available fully automatic wood pellet stoves. These are taller than log stoves typically over 900mm and use a fanned flue of about 80mm diameter. Regulations for these type are far from clear but HETAS the certification body for solid fuel now insists that it is the only organisation for wood and biomass products. As for installing it yourself as usual you will need to obtain a building control notice via your LA.

The supply of anything other than logs is not good in this country, and so wood pellets may cause some difficulties.

www.clearviewstoves.com
www.euroheat.co.uk
www.thebarnattmillnsgroup.co.uk/hcc_super_demon.htm This one has a boiler built in, and burns exceptionally cleanly and efficiently for a woodburner with boiler. Made by the Hellfire Combustion Company :LOL:

They can (and do) do the installation and get BC approval, so there seems to be analternative to Heatarse.

Thanks to all. I've contacted my local authority re. building control notice.

Sponsored Links
The supply of anything other than logs is not good in this country, and so wood pellets may cause some difficulties.

Not such a problem any more and improving all the time. I've had no problem obtaining good quality pellets.

oilman said:

www.clearviewstoves.com
www.euroheat.co.uk
www.thebarnattmillnsgroup.co.uk/hcc_super_demon.htm This one has a boiler built in, and burns exceptionally cleanly and efficiently for a woodburner with boiler. Made by the Hellfire Combustion Company :LOL:

They can (and do) do the installation and get BC approval, so there seems to be analternative to Heatarse.

Interesting oilman. Do these stoves have automatic air dampers ?.

oilman said:
Balenza said:
Do these stoves have automatic air dampers ?.

Maybe, maybe not ;)

Tell the truth. You aint got a clue how its done.
I actually have had some good information from an American forum.
Wanna see ?

Not really, I do the oil setting up for a firm that installs woodchip heating plants for industrial and local authorities :p If there's anything I want to know, it's only a phone call away. :LOL:

oilman wrote

it's only a phone call away

Get on the blower then and find out asap.!
When I have my incinerator/boiler completed I shall post you the plans
( free of charge) should you wish to construct one also. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back