Selective service unavailable 503 errors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This odd!

I cannot access aol or Ebay tonight

DIYnot and most other sites seem quite normal.

They did reappear for a very short while after rebooting.

The only significant change that I have made is to upgrade AVG to the 2014 version and use its one shot fix your computer offer. No virus found by the AVG.

Any ideas?

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is annoying!

I have done a system restore back a couple of days.

I have deleted cookies and browsing history.

Now I can access the front page of AOL but still get the 503 when logging into my account.

I also sometimes get a 403 forbidden error message too.

But its just AOL and Ebay. All other sites are normal. No problem accessing from other computers. AVG has scanned and found no viruses.

I have also had warnings from AOL that my account has been accessed from the US and the Seychelles over a couple of minutes alternating with the location. I have changed my password but still sometimes get these warnings every couple of days.

Tony

Both sites are working fine here.

Obviously that's just AOL's front page as I don't have an account with them.

As a test (I suspect you have malware) why don't you download and "Live run" Linux

Download it HERE

Destructions HERE

Then you will know if your windows system has been compromised or has issues.

That "Live Disc" won't alter your machine in anyway unless you specifically tell it to and then it will warn you first.

I tried downloading that but it was taking a very long time so left it overnight but in the morning it had encountered an unzipping problem. I may try that again later.

But thinking that it could well be a Malware problem I loaded Malwarebytes scanner and that took 25 minutes and identified 127 instances but all began with PUP.Optional...... Whatever that is.

I let the program delete all 127 and surprise, surprise, its still blocking AOL and ebay!

Its slightly different now, it lets me see the AOL front page but blocks any searches or attempts to log in.

Does anyone know any computer forum where someone might know the cause?

Tony

Sponsored Links
It's an ISO file, It doesn't need unzipping.

Just burn it AS AN IMAGE to a blank dvd

I should point out that the download link points to the 64 bit version though.

The link also has a 32 bit version which I selected.

Perhaps it was not unzipping but it had become stuck.

UPDATE

I find that by making my IP seem to be in the USA I can access AOL and probably Ebay as well!

I do this by using my Hotspot Shield. This is intended for browsing sites which don't allow viewers from the UK !

Does this info give anyone any clues as to why I am being blocked?

Tony

Tony your post is a bit like the multitudes asking for boiler advise, want to know what is wrong/causing problem but give no indication what boiler they are refering to. You should really know better!!

Tony what computer/mobile device, what operating system and what browser is really essential information for starters.

Have you tried rebooting the device, assuming that is appropiate.

Its a desktop. Two core Pentium Duo and Windows 7 Home Edition. It uses a not latest version of IE. It also has Google Chrome loaded.

But I suspect its a generic problem which would apply regardless of what my system was.

My best guess is that AOL and Ebay share an anti virus/spam protection which has decided to ban my Uk IP address. I have had problems with that kind of thing before when email was not deliverable to Hotmail or the NHS for several weeks. That was down to some US firm which had decided to ban some AOL IPs.

But what do you think Alan?

Can you access ebay.com?

If not enter 66.135.200.23 into browser address bar and hit return.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Try rebooting router.

Can you access ebay.com?

If not enter 66.135.200.23 into browser address bar and hit return.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Tony just seen this other thread with your post
I have just uploaded the AVG 2014 FREE version.

It also has a fix your computer which gives a one time fix for free then you pay.

It got rif of a lot of things but I have not noticed much difference.

But now I have a new problem! I cannot usually access AOL or Ebay although most other sites are unaffected.

That seems very odd!

tony

So to save everyone guessing why not come clean with a sequence of events leading up to the problem described in your original post?

Have you made changes immediatly prior to the 503 problems detailed at the start of this thread, if so exactly what?

Sounds like the sites you are trying to access have issues not your device.

But if it is lots of sites then it could be your DNS problems with your ISP.

Try changing your DNS settings to something like opendnss

http://www.opendns.com/

But make a note of how to change it back in case it goes wrong.

I uploaded AVG 2014 before these problems started.

But the access problem did not arise until a while afterwards.

Rebooting the router makes no difference.

I am using a laptop connected to the router wifi but the problem desktop is hardwired to the router.

The common factor is that both blocked sites are US operated. That may be significant.

I will try Ebay.com later.

Tony

Is there a reason for using Ebay.com instead of .co.uk ?

I suspect he thinks that it may be subject to a different spam blocking list?

Ebay.com seems to allow me to access it as normal. Not tested it for long though.

aol.com is not blocked but the blocking occurs when I try to sign in!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back