Self Assessment Statement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My accountant did my books recently and sent me a letter advising me of a tax liability of £00.78.

He said that given the cost, it would be highly unlikely that HMRC would ask for the money...

EPSN0001.jpg

I rang HMRC and complained that to raise the invoice and post it would have cost them more than 78p & could they waive the bill? It's not the amount, I argued, but the Visa debit processing of the payment would exceed the invoiced amount.

You must pay it, I was told, & furthermore, if you pay late, we will start adding interest.

Let's just say I'm going to frame it as a prime example of gross stupidity.

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Shame you cant set up a direct debit over the next 78 months at a penny a time I know they win every time with the interest charges but it would be great to get back at the jobsworths.

I got one for 6p. Serious. Will post pic if i still have it.

Sponsored Links
It's an unfortunate quirk of the self-assessment system which requires you to make two payments on account and a balancing payment for each tax year.
When you get small demands like this it's usually because the payments on account you've made covered most, but not all, of your tax liability for the year.
Secure's 0.78p is the difference between his total tax liability for the year and his two payments on account. And no, it won't be written off!
Madness I know, but if it's any comfort Secure it is an indication that you've got a good accountant.

Surely, this isn't the same incompetent fools looking for a 00.78p tax shortfall, that lost 25 million personal details etc etc last year is it, IS IT? :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

Just talking to an employer today and he has had some grief from HMRC to do with one of his employees.
I don't remember the type of letter he said he recieved but it was paramount to demanding more money from him in some form or fashion probably similar to what the OP has recieved.
The letter has been returned to HMRC with a big X through it and
" ALL EMPLOYMENT ENDED " written across it. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back