Self leveling compound cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently had a tiler round to self level my kitchen floor. It cracked within days and blew from the subfloor so he came back and scraped up the levelling compound then did it again..
Part of the floor that has been self levelled over is tiles the other part is screed (been dry for a long time).

The tiled area was the only part to crack the first time, now its all the floor the second time round.

This time seems to have adhered, I don't know whether this will get worse or not but doesn't feel like something I can lay tiles on.

Any second opinions here.

mCp97L4.jpg

jt5hYsd.jpg

fFKTNj2.jpg

DaccQED.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it's tapped does it sound like it's hollow (blown)? How thick is it?

Until one of the pro's answers you, I suspect that there has been a little too much water added to the compound, hence shrinkage and cracking.

If it's tapped does it sound like it's hollow (blown)? How thick is it?

Until one of the pro's answers you, I suspect that there has been a little too much water added to the compound, hence shrinkage and cracking.

Not sure of thickness, but it doesn't sound like it's blown. Not hollow

What was the sub floor ? Any contamination on it ?
What screeding compound was it and what primer

Sponsored Links
What was the sub floor ? Any contamination on it ?
What screeding compound was it and what primer

One area was tiled, primer used was put on neat. Other area is screed which had fully dried, but the second attempt went over the compound that had already been laid over the screen from the first attempt.

I would imagine the primer was diluted for the more porous areas.

What compound was it?
How thick did they put it on do you know ?

It was topps tiles self smoothing compound. Not entirely sure of thickness but probably around 3mm ish.

Do you think it would be a good idea to dilute sbr 4:1 and paint the floor with it, I'm thinking if It seeps within the cracks it will hold it all together to prevent future damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back