Self leveling didn't adhere properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago I lifted a tiled floor in my hall (concrete floor with a DPM) to lay a engineered wooden floor in its place. Obviously when the tiles were lifted not all the adhesive came with the tiles.
After taking the worst of it off I noticed that there were some high and low spots on the floor so decided to use self levelling compound to sort this out.
The floor was hovered well and a PVA sealer applied. The self levelling compound (just from a local DIY chain) was mixed according to instructions and appeared to work fine.
However after it was dried for a few days I noticed that some sections of it sounded hollow.
Any ideas as to why the self levelling didn't adhere properly?
When I used the PVA it was down for a few days before I used the self levelling...is this OK to do or should the self levelling be used while the PVA is still tacky?
Also the self levelling took a couple of days to dry out...so did the PVA create a barrier between the concrete floor and the self levelling preventing it from taking?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Has the floor been moisture checked? As a basic guide, try taping a plastic bag to the floor for 24 hours and see if a dark shadow appears indicating moisture in the subfloor. If all appears dry and you are sure there is no damp, most screeds can be used with a primer rather than pva that should work with the screed and eliminate any potential issues with a bond failure. Check the F-Ball or Ardex websites for more advice etc.

Why did you use PVA? Which SLC? Did the manufacturer recomend it?

Even so, it's almost ceretainly where youve gone wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back