self levelling compound not dry after a week in small areas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder put down some self levelling compound in our lounge on top of an uneven concrete floor.A few areas are still not dry after a week.
We didn't know what to do either leave it longer to dry or get it up and relay some more.If we decided on the latter do you simply mop up the undry areas and fill in the spaces with some more compound?[
b][/b]

Sponsored Links
When you say "not dry" do you mean still liquid like a puddle or it just looks a darkish colour? Can you remember what was actually underneath those spots on the floor? Do they relate to particularly deep patches?

If he has levelled the floor perfectly in one session then it might be worth waiting a bit longer because if you take it up and try and level it again you will get a seam where the new levelling meets the old. It depends on what flooring you are putting down as to whether this matters (it usually doesn't).

Making the decision to go and clean it up might be the only way you will find out what's underneath and why it's not set. All my previous experiences with levelling it's been dry enough to walk on overnight, even when I've put it down an inch or more thick in places.

thanks. It is soft white powdery can scratch with nail. In other areas dark grey where it is hard. overall only 4mm thick. underneath was concrete with black bitumen (we think).

If its powdery that sounds like it's dried but not set for some reason. Did you have the levelling compound in storage for a long time? I don't think it has a good shelf life.

Sounds to me like you should try and clean a bit of this powder out and see what's happening underneath it. If your lucky it might just be a couple of millimeters on the surface and you won't even have to bother filling it.

Sponsored Links
caused by extra water or extra latex being added to the mix. Normally water as latex leaves a rubber behind.

The cure......... Dont allow builders to use the stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back