Self levelling compound - the right depth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Planning on laying self levelling compound down as a screed base for insulation/ufh/tiles. Planning on using Wickes high performance SLC, will prime with PVA 50/50 x 2, so hopefully got most bases covered! My query is how I accurately get the SLC to a set depth as I have to base everything round the toilet / wastepipe. The subfloors concrete and I've flattened n filled but still has about up to 5mm variations - I'd want to have a min depth of 4mm SLC (up to 9mm in the deep spots). Someone suggested screws levelled to a set depth, but would that cause weakeness in the SLC? Try n draw a level round the battened border??
Thanks in advance and for all the other very helpful topics I've found on the way
DIYer novice Dan

Sponsored Links
Actually having measured a bit more accurately there are changes of about 10mm in places - was a bit of a nightmare breaking it up as its a very old extension with three layers of tiles all on top of each other and now discovered three different levels of concrete/flagstone/hardcore running across! Been filling in the wholes with sharp sand cement mix 3:1, should I keep doing that or use a couple of layers of SLC instead? One to fill in the depressed portions the second to give a smooth top layer??
Thanks again!

What I do is fill any deep holes with Ardex rapid repair a45.
Then prime and screed any unlevel sections.
Then do a top coat screed to the whole room.

Thanks dazlight
Room primed and ready to go with the first levelling screed in the morning!

Sponsored Links
personally i wouldnt use the wickes stuff.

A pro would never use. If you have not purchased yet then try and find a flooring wholesale outlet and get a proper flooring brand like - Mapei, Fball, Ardex.

Also you shouldnt prime a floor and then leave. You should apply compounds within approx 8 hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back