Self Levelling Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to lay a laminate floor in my kitchen and utility (combined area of about 20m2 however the floor in the kitchen isn't quite level. It looks like a concrete slab has been laid at some point and has been 'levelled' at some point (I'm not sure what with) but it's not quite level. Some bits are perfect but there are high and low spots in a couple of areas giving a differential of upto 1cm over a 4ft area (the length of my spirit level!)

First question, if I use 7mm fibreboard underlay will this take enough of the unevenness away for the flooring to be fine, or should I try to self-level before I start?

Having never used self-levelling compound before I'm a bit hesitant as I understand it goes off particularly quickly (within about 10-15 minutes and is set completely within about 3 hours?) so I obviously want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I start! Is it genuinely "self" levelling i.e. mix and pour it and it'll sort itself out, or does it need floating to get it level? I'm a competent DIYer however plastering is one job I can't do so if the self-levelling stuff is anything like plaster I'd rather get someone else to do it! (Or not do it at all)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Self levelling compound needs to be worked with a trowel and straight edge to take out uneveness, it's often rolled witha spiked roller to take out air bubbles once its laid too. Most self levellers will indeed start to dry reasonably quickly and you wont have much 'working time' however it also won't be possible to lay new flooring ontop for 24 hours to allow all moisture out of the floor, then you need to rub it down with a rubbing block.

there are expensive products available that will dry in 1-2 hours and allow fitting same day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back