Self sustaining swimming pool. Solar panels, heat pumps, rain reservoir.

Reaction score
Country
France
Thats rather a grand title but thats the objective or is it an aim?
At the moment I working on the heat pump and looking to squeeze out as much efficiency as possible.
I've been looking for examples where heat going in to the pump comes from a source with a higher temperature than the ambient air temperature.
I have a hanger with a 50m sq aluminium roof, producing air temperatures up in the high 30s even 40s during the summer. Does anyone have experience fitting ducting to heat pumps, I'm currently making a hole in the side of the hanger to have the outlet protruding outside and the intake sitting inside the hanger. I plotted a graph today using the COP figures on the heat pump and at an air temperature of 24-27 degrees C the efficieny starts to get interesting. Does anyone have any data beyond that like 27-35 degrees C. Projections indicated a big boost in performance in this range but data is very thin at this range.

I'll knock up so pics later to give you a better idea of how this progressing.

Sponsored Links
Air heat quick, lose heat quick.

Water, like big rock, heat slow, lose heat slow.

I have a hanger with a 50m sq aluminium roof
Perhaps painting the roof black and pumping the pool water so it flows down it and is collected back into the swimming pool, will be cheaper and more efficient than the proposed purchase of multi thousands of pounds HP that draws the air that the roof heats, to heat the water of the pool. 50sqm of roof should be at least 25kW insolation

But if you want to go your route, ASHPs aren't afraid of heights: you can mount it on the wall such that it evacuates the building and not need ducting

Sponsored Links
When I was at uni we did a study on a local open air swimming pool. They had laid a new car park and came up with the idea of laying pipe under the tarmac. The pipe fed the pool pump and raised the temperature by x.

I say x because I can't remember what the figures were. I only know that the average pool temp was noticeably less cold, even in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back