Semi recessed sink and waste traps for sinks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just a bought a nice clearance sale sink from Porcelanosa. It was showing as hanging from the wall with two M10 bolts in the back of it going into the wall. The description on the wall said semi recessed but had nothing underneath it. I spoke to one of the sales reps who said it can be wall hung.

Googling semi recessed on the web seems to shown sinks that are sitting within a vanity unit of some sort so now I am slightly confused. Can semi recessed sinks be wall hung?

Also I need to buy a chrome bottle waste trap - are these all standard size traps?

Sponsored Links
Basin ;) standard M10 basin fixing kit and standard basin waste with 35mm chromed trap - have a look at Mac Alpine traps. If it hung in the shop it should hang in your house

Is it possible to get stronger bolts (in the event that an elderly parent who falls a lot) put weight on the sink? Whats the next size M11 or M12?

I asked the question about semi recessed because sometimes shops hang things on the wall just for temporary displays. Why do all photos on google show semi recessed sinks as sitting on a vanity unit?

A wall hung basin is not a good idea for someone that may have to lean on it for any reason. A semi recessed sink is shaped to be fitted on a unit but as you can see, if they have the holes in the moulding they can also be wall hung

Sponsored Links
We need a wall hung version for possible use of a wheel chair.

What about stronger bolts?

1. Provided the wall is pretty solid, you could go for M12. You'd have to measure and make sure M12 goes through the basin fixing holes.
2. You could perhaps also / instead modify and fit a pair of basin brackets (e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Basin-bra...-for-a-standard-wash-hand-basin-/202073949153) with a metal tie between them to support the front of the basin. This would still provide wheelchair access.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes, its a solid internal block wall with 12.5mm plasterboard on the top. Good suggestion with the bracket, will take a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back