32mm p trap too big for sink outlet..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

so...i need to fit a part to my sink waste pipe/p-trap so that it takes a dishwasher outlet. currently i just have the p-trap - one end screwed on to the bit that sticks out under the sink and the other end screwed on to the actual main waste pipe that goes out the wall. everything is screwed-on compression fittings, white plastic (apart from the bit that goes out the wall which is black).

so basically the job will involve unscrewing the p-trap from the actual bit that sticks out under the sink and inserting what wickes call a 'tee' with a 'spigot' for the dishwasher outlet. so i bought said 32mm 'tee', unscrewed the p-trap.....but alas the 32mm tee is too big ! it does not screw on to the bit that sticks out under the sink and it does not screw on to the p-trap.

after googling it seems that 40mm and 32mm are the main (only ?) two sizes of waste pipe for domestic sinks, but i can say with 100 certainty that both my p-trap and the bit that sticks out under the sink are SMALLLER than 32mm.

so can anyone tell me what size this is likely to be ? and before you tell me to get my tape measure out, this will not be much use seeing as 40mm waste pipes are not actually 40mm and 32mm waste pipes are not actually 32mm (i have measured them, i really don't understand that).

extra info : the bit that sticks out under the sink has no markings but i can tell you that the p-trap has 'mcalpine' written on it. i have been on mcalpiine website and all i can see are 40mm and 32mm...nothing smaller !

any help appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back