Sentinel X400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The engineer who services our central heating system recommended last year that we should consider changing all the valves/trv's on our radiators and at the same time have the system flushed. We have now got around to having this job done. A lot of the valves have limescale deposits and tend to be a bit 'weepy' when the central heating is in use. A couple of the trv's emit a high pitched whistling noise when the rads get hot and a couple of others switch the rad off completely at the smallest adjstment down. The system is probably around twenty years old and doesnt give any problems, we never have to bleed radiators and there are no cold spots. On Wednesday pm some Sentinel X400 was administered to the upstairs bathroom radiator and we have been asked to leave the ch running until they come back on Monday to complete the job (bearing in mind that the weather has been so good we have not even used the heating so far). I understand that the product has to circulate throughout the system to breakdown any sludge and whilst I do not wish to doubt the advise given I wonder if it is really necessary to leave it running 24/7. Looking on the internet it seems to vary from hours to weeks.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but I was wondering which methods other professionals out there advise.

Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
X400 is required to in the system for at least two weeks and ideally FOUR weeks.

If anyone wanted to do the job quickly then they should have used X800 but that costs a few pounds more.

If its taken out too soon then it will have been wasted!

Its surprising how many people really have no idea of how to use this product!

Tony

you can use the chemical over a few weeks use the heating as normal
or run the heating constant will work the chemical quicker.
if their coming back monday and you haven't used the heating it won't of done its job round the radiators as the chemical works better with heat.
so they are just doing in two days what would normally take a week or so by leaving the system running.

I only ever use X800 these days, only has to be in system between 20 and 60 mins depending on flushing method.

It only costs about 50p more, not pounds :eek:

The downside to X800 (Ferroquest) is that as it is more aggressive, it could find more leaky joints or pin holes in your old radiators.

Sponsored Links
It only costs about 50p more, not pounds :eek:

I always quote the usual prices and not any special deals or discounts!

City Plumbing price list, trade prices, exc. vat

X100 £12.27

X800 £15.52

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back