Sequence of events?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a ramble, this so bear with me!
I'm planning to self-build a bungalow at the rear of my property next spring.
The existing driveway (tarmac) runs down the side of the site to a double garage (to be demolished).
I will have a lot of stone, rubble and bricks from the old garage which I intend to use as hardcore for the new driveway (hiring a mini-crusher).
I had intended to dig up the old drive, lay in the services trench and then lay the hardcore (compacted) but leave the rest until the contractors' wagons have finished driving over it.
Will the hardcore base be ok or will it get churned up/mushy during the build?
I could leave the drive as is, although there is a curve to straighten out which will have to be reinforced with something (currently grass), but this will leave me with a considerable quantity of stone and rubble with nowhere to store it.
If you haven't lost the will to live at this point, what are your thoughts?

Dave

PS Final planned drive surface, block paving

Sponsored Links
My thoughts are that unless there is a muddy field that the vehicles have to drive through before going over your hardcore, your proposal seems fine.
Hardcore shouldn't get "churned up", it might get some extra crushing, and a little mud and weeds shouldn't give you any long term problems if you use a weedkiller before finishing it.
But what would I know.

You could cover with cheap osb board to aid traffic and avoid a mud bath.

Sponsored Links
Try it and see, but as 'yme' says it depends a lot on the final depth of what you have. If there's not enough and it starts to get churned up you could always get some type 1 delivered to chuck down. Whatever as long as you don't compromise the final level of block paving.

Get some mixer washings delivered, run over it with a wacker to get a second set. Result: perfect temporary surface to drive over, won't turn to pudding when it rains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back