Setting up home cinema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to set up my surround sound. I have a PS3, LG 50PS3000 tv, virgin media box (not HD) and a Panasonic DVD home theater sounds system SA-HT880.

I want everything to work with the surround sound speakers that run through the home theater system.

The back of the sound system looks like this: any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do you noot have the user manual, that will advise what the connections should be.
If not sure why not just try one piece of kit at a time, ie from tv to input, from dvd to (try vcr)

Unfortunately I think with that "home theater" system you will be limited to stereo audio for everything other than the built in DVD player. If you want surround sound from your PS3 I think you will have to buy a better system

Now that's out of the way here is how to connect things up.

connect the PS3 to the TV with a HDMI cable

connect the AV multi out on your PS3 to the aux input on your home theatre system using the composite video and audio cable that was supplied with the PS3. Insulate the unused yellow plug. You will need to go into your PS3's settings to tell it you want analog audio out.

connect the component video output on the home theater system to the component video input on the TV with a component video cable

As for the cable box if it has a separate analog audio out you can connect that to the surround system (i'd use the VCR input) and connect the cable box to the TV with a scart cable.

Finally if you want to use the TVs built in tuner with the surround system you will need to get an audio signal from the TV to the TV audio input on the surround system. Unfortunately the TV doesn't have a dedicated analog audio output. You may be able to pick one off from the spare scart socket but that would require an adaptor cable and it's not clear from the manual whether the TV in question outputs audio on it's scart sockets. Failing that you can get adaptors to convert from optical digital audio to analog audio but they aren't particually cheap.

Thanks for your replies.

I have managed to get the speakers to work for the PS3 but I am stuck with the cable box.

This is what I have to work with.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You need to pick off the audio signal from one of the scart sockets. For this you will need an adaptor or adaptor cable that can take the output audio signals from the scart socket to phono plugs. Some adaptors are for one configuration only, some can be switched between directions and some have six phono connectors allowing both in and out connections.

An example of a suitable adaptor cable is http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28102

The scart to phono adaptors supplied with games consoles are NOT suitable for this as they are "in" adaptors only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back