SEVEN GU10 halogen lamps all blew together!

No.
Is the FCU off the lighting circuit?
Yes, there is a 3A fuse alongside the switch which controls all of the lights and the fan and this is connected to the lighting circuit at the consumer unit. I know because I have isolated it from there in the past.

Sponsored Links
The "manufacturer's instructions" nearly always state the the item "must be installed by a qualified electrician" but no one ever seems to care about that one.
The lights and the fan were installed by a qualified electrician (or so I believe) at the time, although I have since changed the fan to a quieter model. I must confess that I am not a qualified electrician! :whistle:

Whenever one of my halogen bulbs in the kitchen blew when switching on, there was always a 'pop' and the breaker would trip. It also trips if a normal incandescent bulb blows when switching on although there is never a 'pop'. Perhaps the OP's fan has a switched live from the lights but a main feed from elsewhere?
Yes it does. I'm sure of that because when the fuse in the switch unit blew (along with one of the lamps), the fan continued to run as it usually does when we turn off the lights.

Ah right. On my one the permanent and switched lives both come from the same ceiling rose.

Sponsored Links
The lights and the fan were installed by a qualified electrician (or so I believe) at the time, although I have since changed the fan to a quieter model. I must confess that I am not a qualified electrician! :whistle:
Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that legally or regulation-wise.

I was merely pointing out that because the 'manufacturer's instructions' state something does not make it so.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
He was an idiot. FCUs are not required on lighting circuits.

FCUs are not required on lighting circuits.

A fan is not a light, hence the circuit to the fan is not a lighting circuit ( unless you have the opinion that everything that is powered by a circuit protected by a 6 amp MCB has to be considered as being a light )

It is a lighting circuit as it supplies the lights in the house. Anyway whether you consider it a lighting circuit or not a FCU is not required on a 6a circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back