Severe condensation on double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our house almost a year ago and have been suffering all winter with severe condensation on the upstairs windows (there is some condensation downstairs too), by severe I mean that the bedroom windows are completely covered and on some occasions the water forms pools on the window sill.

We have redecorated all three rooms and had the artexed ceilings skimmed, mould has formed on the window sealant and is also forming on the walls next to the sealant.

We have tried everything that has been suggested to us, heating on low, high, twice a day, all day, no heating on at all, opening the windows in the day time, opening the windows all day even when the heating is on, not even a dehumidifier has stopped the condensation.

The amount varies depending on the weather but there is always some condensation.

We've been told it could be not enough ventilation and that the house is too well sealed or that it could be lack of insulation and therefore the house is cooling down too quickly.

We have about 50mm of loft insulation and we have been told by a neighbour that there's cavity wall insulation but all we can see from the loft is sheets of polystyrene in one area.

it has been suggested that the problem could be a problem with the seals on the double glazing between the frame and the unit. There are only two of us (and 1 puppy) living in a three bedroom house, we don't have a tumble dryer or dry clothes in the house and we don't take long showers.

We always open the bathroom and kitchen windows when showering, cooking etc.,

Sorry to give so much information but I wanted to give a full view of the situation as I thought that might help with any ideas.

I have some people coming to give quotes on insulation and have contacted the window company who are reluctant to help, they want us to pay for someone to come out and have a look and then pay to have the guarantee transferred into our names, I don't mind doing this but only if I know it's going to be of any help.

If anyone has any ideas or any experience of these problems I'd be really grateful of any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Any solutions is going to cost money, trickle vent in the frame ect.

Alot of the time I have found that the spacer bead which is Aluminium attacts/transfers the cold and therefore causes the condensation, there are new types of spacer bead 'super bead' that is made of a composite material affording less conductivity but that means new units thru out, not cheap.

Ventilation and reducing moisture load are the usual cures.

I wonder if there is any chance of a source of additional moisture like a leaking pipe or radiator.

The leak might be under the floor where it is not noticed.

Is your ground floor wood or concrete?

If you go away for a few days (heating on, but not using any baths, showers, kettles) how much condensation do you find on your return?

Extractor fans in the bathroom and kitchen are better than open windows, as they suck moist air our instead of allowing it to drift around the house.

How do you dry your washing? Where is the ironing done?

How old is the house? Does it have chimneys? Is the loft felted? Any signs of damp up there?

Sponsored Links
The house was built in about 1983, the double glazing is about 10 years old. We don't dry washing in the house, the ironing is done in the lounge but I don't do that much ironing! we have had some people round to quote for loft and cavity wall insulation and they have said that we have polystyrene sheeting cavity wall insulation already so nothing can be added however the 50mm of loft insulation can be topped up which we probably do soon. The house has two chimneys, the original one for the gas fire and one which was added for the rayburn boiler/cooker. there is no cooker hood in the kitchen or extractor fan both of which we plan to fit. the floors are solid. our only thoughts regards additional sources of moisture are the possibilities of problems in the bathroom which is very small, fully tiled and was badly installed by the previous owner (it looked ok on the surface but the shower, toilet, bath and sink all leaked). The plot of land does slope towards the house at the front and back and there are flags about 3/4 of the way around with a small gap left for drainage in some places. I don't if any of this will make any difference but it might help someone point us in the right direction. thanks for the help so far. unfortunately we haven't actually been away for a few days during the colder weather so we haven't be able to see what the condensation is like in that case.

nr2007 said:
We moved into our house almost a year ago and have been suffering all winter with severe condensation on the upstairs windows (there is some condensation downstairs too), by severe I mean that the bedroom windows are completely covered and on some occasions the water forms pools on the window sill.

We have redecorated all three rooms and had the artexed ceilings skimmed, mould has formed on the window sealant and is also forming on the walls next to the sealant.

We have tried everything that has been suggested to us, heating on low, high, twice a day, all day, no heating on at all, opening the windows in the day time, opening the windows all day even when the heating is on, not even a dehumidifier has stopped the condensation.

The amount varies depending on the weather but there is always some condensation.

We've been told it could be not enough ventilation and that the house is too well sealed or that it could be lack of insulation and therefore the house is cooling down too quickly.

We have about 50mm of loft insulation and we have been told by a neighbour that there's cavity wall insulation but all we can see from the loft is sheets of polystyrene in one area.

it has been suggested that the problem could be a problem with the seals on the double glazing between the frame and the unit. There are only two of us (and 1 puppy) living in a three bedroom house, we don't have a tumble dryer or dry clothes in the house and we don't take long showers.

We always open the bathroom and kitchen windows when showering, cooking etc.,

Sorry to give so much information but I wanted to give a full view of the situation as I thought that might help with any ideas.

I have some people coming to give quotes on insulation and have contacted the window company who are reluctant to help, they want us to pay for someone to come out and have a look and then pay to have the guarantee transferred into our names, I don't mind doing this but only if I know it's going to be of any help.

If anyone has any ideas or any experience of these problems I'd be really grateful of any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!

I would start by obtaining and running a dehumidifier to take out any moisture, this will amaze you how much you take out. I would increase the loft insulation to 8-10 inches, ensure heating is used and leave window slightly open, many have the facility to lock in an open position for trickle air movement.

+++++++++++++
Moderator's note:

Delmel, can you use the "reply" button found under the last post, rather than the "quote" button please. This will take up less room and save duplicating everything from the previous post.

Looks like this
reply.gif

Thanks

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++

Have a good look for water leaks.

Also, a bathroom extractor will make a big improvement.

You can readily fit one; either in the roof space (but you must take the ducting outside through the eaves or through a hole in the wall) or through the wall. You can hire a core drill to cut a hole through the wall, it is surprisingly easy. Not directly above the bath or shower, though, or you will have to get a more expensive waterproof fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back