Severed ground wire under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added some plumbing options to the sink in my new house but noticed a ground wire which has been cut and left in half. I think there may have been a macerator or something under the sink previously which may have left the wires cut once removed. I was wondering if I would need to reconnect this and whether I could do so with ordinary 1mm solder.

Pictures attached.
IMG_20210113_214003.jpg
IMG_20210113_213907.jpg
IMG_20210113_213912.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is this bathroom or kitchen sink?

Is this pipe work also the incoming cold water main?

This could be a redundant bonding conductor to the sink pipe work. This used to be required but not any more (mostly).

That's cold water main under the kitchen sink

Sponsored Links
That's cold water main under the kitchen sink
Then it might be the main bonding. If it is, then that earth wire is meant to connect from the water main to your consumer unit/main earth.
This is the sort of thing that plumbers/kitchen fitters take off because it’s in the way. As above, need a better picture of the general area, including the incoming water pipe and stop cock.
Probsbly it needs reinstating, but we need to know what it really is first.

The way the two are stripped suggests they were both in another one of them Bonding clamps, it was common to bond at least the Hot and Cold pipe together, it may be just a case of removing the short link and put the long cable into that clamp if it reaches, or as the pipe is soldered move the existing clamp along.

Thanks for the responses so far. There are no other wires in sight. More pictures here. I couldn't get a great shot with the drainage infront so I took a few.

The hot is pretty short, it comes out the wall, goes past a new washing machine valve, then goes to the tap. Shown in the last closeup picture.

The cold comes through the stopcap, one half goes up and into the wall alongside where the ground wire comes out to the rest of the house, the other goes right and drops down to a junction. Dishwasher (right) and washing machine (up) then above that to the tap.

I should mention I'm in the UK so that is definitely a ground, the house was built in 2008 so fairly recent aswell.

IMG_20210114_215626.jpg
IMG_20210114_215836.jpg
IMG_20210114_215757.jpg
IMG_20210114_215739.jpg
IMG_20210114_215722.jpg
IMG_20210114_215853.jpg

If the wire reaches, bin the short green bit and put the long green wire into that clamp, if it dont reach then move the clamp to the parrallel pipe to the left of it, just to tidy and park the cable up, it was a supplementary bond, they have not been required in kitchens for well over 10 years, though many are still in place and are unlikely to cause problems in most cases.

OOPS Just noticed the STOPCOCK in the bottom of the cupboard, that may need MAIN BONDING, is it copper or plastic.
@Taylortwocities did you see that

Also What is the white plastic box on the cold water, by the way

img_20210114_215626-jpg.218548

Last edited:
It's still quite difficult to tell what's what.

If the pipe down from the stopcock is metal and comes out of the ground, then it should be connected to the Main Earthing Terminal.

That could be where the long green and yellow wire goes.

The short bit doesn't appear to be required.

The stopcock at the bottom is metal, it's on the ground floor. That's the one you use to shut off all the water in the house.
The plastic tub is the attachment link to the dishwasher.
The wire does not reach.

The rest behind the cupboard goes into the wall and floor so there is not much more pipe work to show even if I were to take the kitchen cupboard apart. Ill see if I can find the mains outside and check if they are plastic but I'd still rather be safe than sorry.

I couldn't see that wire being anything other than mains earthing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back