Sewage block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically my toilet waste, kitchen sink waste, shower & bathroom sink waste are all connected to the same pipe (seems stupid if you ask me) and the drain where the kitchen,shower & bathroom sink drain to has overflowed and there's toilet paper (you can guess what else) coming up through that drain. The toilet is fairly new from what I can tell and the big metal pipe that goes to the manhole in the back garden has ZERO flow of water coming out of it into the big manhole (big square drain... lol) we've tried stuffing a hose pipe down there & pouring boiling water, a coat hanger poked through the pipe... I'm really lost for ideas and we can't really afford a plumber. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Pics below.

The toilet isn't overflowing inside the house, the drain is just overflowing.
WP_20150618_001[1].jpg
WP_20150618_003[1].jpg

Any clues?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like an underground blockage but I'd question how the new toilet has been connected - it should connect direct to the manhole, judging by the angle it may be connecting into the same run as the gully.

If it's blocked below ground then it's time for rods or jetting from the nearest manhole.

The rest of that pipework needs tidying up and connecting properly to the gully.

If that's a pile of wet/baby wipes in your picture then that's almost certainly the start of the blockage

Stop inserting the hose pipe - it could create a health risk to you and your family. Just dont do it.
Dont poke or pour any more hot water (or any chemicals) down the gulley either.

All that clutter is obscuring the soil pipe bend, but i cant see a clean-out - there seems to be an extra pipe? A washing machine?

If you lift the manhole cover then all the drains coming into the manhole, and the main drain leading out from the manhole could be rodded from the manhole.
I suspect that the blockage is in the main drain leading out from the manhole. Can you access and open the next manhole leading out of your property? I presume that you are on mains sewage?
If either manhole is full of sewage then come back here.

Given you have a child then its very possible that the little one has been stuffing items down the WC - its very common.
FWIW: No sanitary towels, wipes or nappies should be put down a WC they will always eventually block the drainage.

Its possible that the rainwater pipe is bringing down leaf debris from the guttering? There's vegetation growing in the corner with the tangle of pipes.

Your pipework could be far better sorted - it would pay you perhaps to get a plumber in to free the drain and sort the pipework - just saying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back