Advice on installing new waste pipe please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm am refurbishing my ensuite and would like to install a toilet in the process as there isn't 1 in there as it is.

I have been told I can connect to the existing waste pipe that leads to the manhole - Which currently drains away the waste water from the kitchen sink at the back of the house and possibly the toilet from the bathroom above the kitchen.

I was looking for verification and any advice would be appreciated on the correct installation according to regulations as I will be attempting the work myself.

Pic 1. Shows my intended path - hoping to connect to the pipe which the kitchen waste is connected.

Pic 2. Manhole takes upstairs toilet waste and downstairs kitchen sink. (Would there be 2 separate runs? (When we lifted the cover there was only 1flow through)

Thanks for looking and any help

20200510_183737.jpg
20200510_183821.jpg

Sponsored Links
You've already got a stack inside the house, vent pipe visible from the roof, I would seriously look at connecting to that before doing anything else!

If that is simply not practical, then a connection to the gulley run may be possible, but you will need to fit a chamber at the point of connection, alternatively you may need to join the main sewer run which I am assuming, runs across the back of the property. Again, this will need a chamber at the point of connection.

Thanks Hugh - would I need a chamber where the waste will come around the corner of the house too?

Or would you look at relocating the toilet so that the stack can be fitted to the back wall rather than the side?

If you or anyone has time to draw me a design plan - for best installation/route - that would be awesome.

( Unfortunately the existing stack is not practically accessible within the house )

Golden rules with drains are, soil (waste) flows downhill, must be laid in straight lines, (manhole at every change of direction), and all parts must be accessible for rodding if required.

Need to know where existing drain run really before we can give you a definite idea of what your options are, but given the location of the existing manhole in relation to the soil pipe, I'd be fairly confident in saying the main run goes from left to right in your picture, with stack connection at the manhole. Gulley may join the stack run, go to the manhole on its own run, or even join the main run on a blind junction. Need to see what's in that manhole to be certain, if you're at the head of the run, then that makes things a little more awkward possibly.

I think you need to assess your options, if you want to (or can) join onto an existing lateral, (I would think the stack run is now under the conservatory, so rules that out, depends where gulley run goes), then coming down the back wall near the corner eliminates one change of direction, you'd be looking at a straight run from bottom of stack to couple onto the lateral. (This would need a chamber at point of connection.)

Alternatively, (and assuming the main run does pass right though your property), if you came down the side of the house with the stack, you could again do a straight run from there, down the garden and couple onto the main run across from the existing chamber, but again, a chamber would most probably be needed here. Also, if that run is shared, you would need permission from the Water Company to make a connection as it would be their sewer.

Will see if I can knock another diagram up, but could do with knowing what's already there first please.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Hugh - I'm leaning away from the idea now because to connect to the front would be too big of a job (very long drive)

To connect to the back it seems I would need at least 2 chambers and with 2 access points already in the back I think another 2 will just be too much.

Also considering an extension on the back in future which then could get messy having to consider all the drainage runs and access points.

Would you just leave it and Keep the ensuite as it is, without toilet, taking the above into consideration?

Depends how badly you want a WC in the en suite! Could get away with just the one chamber at the back possibly, (but that is assuming the foul drain does run across the rear, and the pipework doesn't go under the house to the front!) There are ways and means, but without being on site it is impossible to say exactly. If you are planning other works, then I'd be inclined to leave it until you know what your plans are there, (may need to be drainage alterations involved there), and plan it all in together.

Thanks Hugh - that's that then. We have decided to opt out for now, as an extension is a strong possibility in the future. All the best :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back