Kitchen Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed a manhole cover to inspect my waste at the property I have just purchased. My Kitchen waste runs down into the manhole, but does not drain away completely. I looked for and removed the next manhole which receives waste from my toilet / bathroom via the soil pipe. this is clear. On closer inspection the second manhole is deeper, is it normal for kitchen waste in this instance to remain in the pipe until the level is raised to allow it to drain away but not completely???? or do I have a problem? I have used rods and cleared what I can. (lots of kitchen fat) but the level is still there. Help and advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't drain away then you have a problem. It could be a damaged drain but from what you've said it sounds like a build up of kitchen waste. Rodding and plenty of hot water should shift it.

shaggy, Thanks for that, much appreciated. :D A bit more rodding is needed I think. I can get the rods right up until about a foot from the next drain but then it feels "solid". After attaching the plunger to the rods it goes right through. Maybe its damaged at the entrance to the 2nd drain (soil pipe). :rolleyes:

kevplumb -
1 I don't pour fat into the drains.
2 ??????????????????????? ok ic :confused:

Sponsored Links
The rod going solid doesn't sound good. How old is the house? From my experience the most problems happen with the spigot & socket cemented joint which don't allow the movement that supersleeve or plastic have. Kev made a good point about manholes, although they too have to be inspected.

Its always worth asking the surveyor if they've checked the drains - flush the loo a few times and make sure it clears fast.

Due diligence really, but I suppose its easy to overlook when you've got everything else to contend with when buying a house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back