Toilet Bowls not emptying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is just some information that most plumbers will be aware of but maybe not many DIYers.
I live in a bungalow and this morning I found that the bowls of both toilets stayed half full after being flushed. Thinking both toilet waste pipes combined before entering the external manhole and that there was probably a blockage where the waste pipes joined I lifted the manhole cover. To my surprise I found separate pipes from the toilets but the manhole was half full of liquid etc.
The next manhole, about 4 yards downstream was also half full but I managed to poke around with rods in the second manhole to locate the outlet pipe entrance. On rodding the outlet pipe I cleared a blockage and the manholes and toilets quickly drained much to my relief.
My point in relating this episode is to show that if a toilet bowl will not clear the problem may well be, but occasionally may not be, due to a U bend blockage.
I can only surmise that if the manhole, into which the toilet drains, does not itself drain then air pressure inside the manhole will build up and stop toilet bowls from draining. If what I surmise is true I personally am surprised as I am sure the manhole cover is not air tight. Whether this would happen in a house where the toilets are at first floor level I do not know. It may be that the manhole would fill first and leak onto the surrounding ground before the toilets were affected.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back