Toilet Stinks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The story is as follows:
identified a water joint leak under the toilet/bathroom floor which must have been running for a year.
Had the floor pulled up and pipes repaired, ground dried out etc.

Now had the bathroom and toilet refitted but since had a drain blockage in a few doors down.
Manhole was full for about a week until the blockage a few houses down the line was found and cleared.

Toilet and everything works fine BUT problem is there is a horrible stinking stench in the toilet/bathroom.
It can't be the bathroom or sink waste pipes because these go to an outside gulley.
We think it's coming from the actual toilet bowl (a new toilet WC by the way) but haven't sniffed to find out.

Prior to all the repair works we didn't have this problem.
So what could it be?

Thanks people

Sponsored Links
As long as there is water in the toilet bowl then it cant be from the toilet. If you find it smells when the toilet is flushed then this is sometimes a sign that there is a blocked manhole.

Is there an overflow pipe or is it an internal overflow?

Andy

Its virtually impossible for an animal to get under there and I am more inclined to think that its a sewage type stink than a dead animal.

There isn't a vent pipe nor is there a stack vent on the outside.
But as I say, this is a recent problem and not something that's being going for long at all.

I'll stick my nose down the pan when I flush to see if it still smells!

Sponsored Links
There isn't a vent pipe nor is there a stack vent on the outside.

There should be. You could be smelling the sewers if some water is sucked out out of the toilet. It doesn't take the loss of very much water for this to happen.

How about the connection from the pan to the stack? As this has been disturbed perhaps it is water tight but not air tight (top half of it perhaps not sealing properly to the pan).

but since had a drain blockage in a few doors down.
Manhole was full for about a week until the blockage a few houses down the line was found and cleared.

Prior to all the repair works we didn't have this problem.
So what could it be?

Thanks people
it`s blocked again :cry:

How about the connection from the pan to the stack? As this has been disturbed perhaps it is water tight but not air tight (top half of it perhaps not sealing properly to the pan).

yes something to check with my nose. Its def water tight though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back