Toilets not flushing - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone throw any light on this problem.

We have two downstairs toilets, which were working perfectly OK.

About a month ago my son was using a digger in the front garden and
came across a manhole cover that we didn't know was there.

(We have had the drains cleared before by two other exposed manhole covers).

He found that a lot of ivy had got at the side of the cover, he removed it and
then the manhole cover, and said that he could see that the sewer was running OK.

In the last week or so, both toilets have been filing nearly up to the under the rim.
And were very slow to drain away.

There is obviously a blockage, which might be my fault because I have been throwing
paper kitchen towels in the toilet every now and again.

I only found out the other day that you shouldn't do this because they don't breakdown.

Over the last few days I have repeatedly poured buckets of water from as high as I
could get, it to increase the pressure.

Today, it finally improved in as much as the water is now about 2 inches from the rim,
and leaving the bowl quickly.

SYMPTOMS

When either of the toilets are flushed, the other gurgles - when you unplug the bathroom
basin the toilet bowel rises.

Given that the sewer a month ago was running free, where do you think the blockage will be?

The en-suite toilet runs under ground with around one metre before it reaches the
manhole/sewer run. There is no exposed soil pipe.

(There is a soil pipe for the upstairs toilet - vented etc.)

The bathroom toilet is connected to the en-suite toilet - i.e. they both exit the same way on
the same run.

I was thinking of ordering a "flat" rubber disc on a wooden handle to push down into the bowl
(seen one on the net) but wouldn't the pressure just force the water out of the other toilet?

I know I can blocked the basin overflow with a cloth - but the toilet?

Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated, .

Thanks in advance.

Stephen :(

Sponsored Links
Are both the affected toilets on the ground floor? Upstairs wont be so noticeable as the water has to fill the stack before backing up into the pan.

Check the manholes are still clear, but it sounds very much like there is a blockage in the drain, plunging one toilet if there's another connected to the same run is a waste of time. Need to create pressure behind the blockage to move it, impossible if theres other connections to the pipe.

You'll need to rod out the underground run, could easily be a wad of paper stuck in there somewhere, thats assuming no damage has been done with the digger... :confused:

If the manholes are clear you need to identify where the affected W.C.'s run to and start there. Put a worm or corkscrew on the end of the rods, keep turning clockwise once rods are in the drain (otherwise you might lose half of them along the pipe) and once you feel resistance the rods should 'screw' into the blockage allowing you to withdraw it back to the chamber.

If the blockage is solid or immoveable then you'll need to seek professional help, possible drain could have collapsed. :cry:

All points to a blockage underground i'm afraid. Fingers crossed its paper towels and other rubbish, not a collapse. Concern is you've had a digger on the surface, the extra weight may have caused some damage to a weak pipe. :(

(Might be stating the obvious but you haven't broken a pipe whilst digging?)

Sponsored Links
This problem can't be solve by just doing it on your own. The case may have gone worst if it'll be manipulated by person without enough knowledge in it. So, you already need to ask for a professional plumber's help.

Why is a Birmingham mail order company advertising via the Phillipines on a 6 month old thread?

I very much doubt that BES themselves would attempt anything like that.

They are well established and dont need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back