blocked drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my problem started with an upstairs toilet backing up into the shower tray.
The pan will empty eventually, in about 5 seconds.

i checked the manholes and have found that the lowest manhole (i guess the one nearest the sewer) has about 9 inches of water in it.

When i flush the offending toilet i can see the manhole bubble and then see the water flow into it.

i'm pretty sure the blockage is between said manhole and sewer, but would this blockage cause the problems with drainage from my bathroom?

Also, are drains shared between houses or do houses have separate drains?
The house is 8 years old.

Thanks for your help,
kevin

Sponsored Links
You really need to clear the drain between that manhole and the sewer ....chances are that will cure your issues but to leave it allows solids etc to back up, making matters worse.
Usually houses have their own manhole emptying into the authority sewer, but you really cant be certain of this....blocks of flats etc often have communal chambers which eventually join the main outlets.
John :)

Once the water starts to back up into a chamber it will cause a partial airlock in the system and other outlets etc. will be slow to drain. Drains can be shared or individual.

Sponsored Links
Good luck with it mate - there's nothing more satisfying than that familiar gurgle of stuff flowing away...... :p
I usually use the rods without any end attachment first - just in case there's a chance of compacting further whatever's in there.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back