help with new downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Im looking to install a new downstairs toilet in a space that is currently just a cloakroom. Current soil stack is the other side of the house so I cant use this. The toilet will be installed next to an external wall, the other side of the wall being an alley way. This alley way currently has an open gulley which takes waste from the kitchen/boiler (approx 2 meters from proposed toilet location. About 3.5 meters from proposed toilet location is a manhole cover (still within the alley way). I believe below the manhole cover is a plastic chamber that combines water and toilet waste which continues along the street.

My question is.. how do I get a toilet plumbed in? Am I going to need a new stub stack trenched in up to the manhole cover or can I use a macerator and plumb that into the existing gulley or something?!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Any toilet needs to be connected directly to the drain, you cannot connect into a gulley. Really need to see what the current arrangements are to determine exactly what needs to be done. As you've a drain within reasonable proximity to the proposed new W.C. position, use it!

Macerators are fine. Until you use them. Read this: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back