New Upstairs Loo / Soil Pipe (and relocate downstairs loo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New Upstairs Loo

Converting an old airing cupboard into an upstairs loo (its ~ 4'6"x3'6").

I need to run the soil pipe to the new toilet in the floor void between ground and first floors (it goes with the joists so that is OK). It will need to run for ~2m before it will exit the exterior wall. I am hoping there is enough height in the void to give sufficient slope. Any comments/concerns about doing this?.

There is currently no exterior soil pipe on this side of the building but there is an inspection chamber (manhole) almost directly below, where the downstairs toilet currently runs directly into. I was hoping to add a soil pipe up from near this manhole to the new upstairs toilet.

How difficult will it be to add a new soil pipe close to where the manhole cover is (I was hoping that because there is no need to lay any underground piping because I can tap directly into an existing one almost at the inspection chamber, that this would be fairly easy - am I kidding myself?).

Relocate Downstairs Loo

I also want to move the downstairs toilet (sideways by less than 1m) - currently its waste goes into a concrete floor and then directly out into the inspection chamber (manhole cover) just the other side of the wall. Obviously moving this waste is not trivial even though it is only a small relocation, due to the concrete floor.

How difficult will it be to dig up an existing concrete floor to relay the waste pipe? Also the toilet will move further from the drain and so the slope will have to be taken into account.

Can anyone comment on any of this. I think probably I would need to get someone in to do all this due to building regs etc. If I do get someone in to do it should I be aiming for a builder or a plumber?

Sponsored Links
soil pipe slope 1 in 40.

Underground drainage work is easy - unless you get it wrong!
Slopes, materials, fittings, methods, all have to be right.
Only some builders and some plumbers will do this work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back