connecting upstairs loo to downstairs soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm putting in an upstairs loo. Only loo in the house currently is downstairs and soil pipe goes straight down into the bathroom floor.

Is there anything I can buy to connect the soil pipe from upstairs loo to the soil pipe in the downstairs loo while keeping the existing loo attached to it as well?

Don't want to dig up the garden to put a new soil pipe-sewer connection in...

Edit: I dont mind moving the loo further away from the wall to make space for a pipe going up if needed.

Many thanks
621793C4-1E91-4AAC-A8C2-40DF92285D91.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
1. The rules (Water Regulations) for venting a ground floor WC going straight into a sewer are very different from those for venting higher WCs.
2. The higher one will require venting, preferably with a vent pipe going above roof level, but at the very least with and Air Admittance ("Durgo") valve above the spill over level of the highest connected appliance.
3. The solution offering least potential trouble is a new external soil pipe connecting into the same man hole. The soil pipe would be extended above roof level to provide venting of the stack.
4. If you join to the existing soil pipe, the new soil pipe will have to be run internally, otherwise you will have an offset in the pipe forming an almost guaranteed future blockage. The new soil pipe would also have to be extended above roof level or fitted with an AAV at the appropriate level.

Your proposal isn't recommended, for various reasons, and without knowing how deep the drain is under the existing WC, it's impossible to say if it's even permissible or not.

If an upstairs Bathroom is worth doing, it's worth doing properly, put a dedicated soil stack in and connect underground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back