no smell from open soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This must be the easiest question to answer but I'm a little confused!!

In my two storey chalet bungalow, I've had the upstairs loo removed for a couple of days prior to a new loo being installed. The connection to the loo inside the bathroom is therefore temporarily a big open pipe joining the internal soil pipe. I can't believe that the main sewer is odourless, so why can't I smell sewer gas at the mouth of this open pipe. The soil pipe has a vent at the top, above the roof, but surely, sewer gas smells rise from open sewers and thus, sewer gas must be lighter than air. I'd therefore expect some smell wafting upwards into bathroom.....

Please could somebody point out the flaw in my thinking!

Sponsored Links
Better to have no smell than to have sewer gases coming out of the pipe :) I'd be happy and only worry when actual sewage is coming up out of the pipe :eek:

Your very lucky if cant smell anything, I have worked on a few properties like this and you cant smell much... untill you get a gust of wind. [/quote][/code][/url]

Sponsored Links
the flaw in your thinking - of the drain that`s not stinking - is borne of the fact that your neighbour`s not cacked - for a week , nearer 2 - with cannonball poo- a litre a day they`re not drinking - and therefore shared drain is not stinking :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back