Soil Pipe smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently noticed sewage smell in bathroom (recently fitted). The soil pipe into the loo pan doesn't appear to have any sealant at the join, Could this be the problem?
Have tempoarily put duck tape around the join but still can detect a smell.
Is there a recommended sealant for this or is it likely to be some other cause?

Sponsored Links
It isn't normal to use sealant on any pan or soil pipe connection.

Photo?

brooksey said:
Have recently noticed sewage smell in bathroom (recently fitted). The soil pipe into the loo pan doesn't appear to have any sealant at the join, Could this be the problem?
Have tempoarily put duck tape around the join but still can detect a smell.
Is there a recommended sealant for this or is it likely to be some other cause?
Could be the bath or basin trap is losing it's water seal.

as Chr15 said you may be suffering from induced or self syphonage - do you notice any 'gurgling' when you pull a plug?

Sponsored Links
Have you, or has any neighbour, had any building work done?

Had the exact same thing. My problem was that when I replaced the bath I used a short seal trap / u bend on the bath drain. Every time the toilet was flushed it produced a syphon effect to the bath drain, losing the water seal. I could not be bothered to change it so every night before bed I just run the bath tap for a second to refill the bath drain trap. Problem solved.

:) Thanks for all your replies.

The syphoning effect seems to have been the cause....so I tried Willa's solution...and it's worked!!

You'd have thought the professional bathroom company I had to put the new bathroom in would have sorted this in the first place....and i couldn't stand yet another visit by them on their rectification work!!

Anyway thanks again once more

Brooksey

Your installation is unhealthy and contravenes the Building Regulations.

Willa's suggestion, whilst it might overcome the problem temporarily, is a workaround, not a solution.

Willa`s workaround. :confused: .......Nige`s F`ing solution :rolleyes: ..........bathroom fitters :LOL:.........not the swimming mammal ones, were they? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back