soil pipe smell (internal)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I seem to have a problem with the smell of sewage in my house and I believe it's from the soil pipe that runs internal into the house.

The downstairs toilet is connected to this and the en suite is directly above it connecting to the same soil pipe.

I used some insulation around where the pipe enters the house for the downstairs toilet and boxed it in but the smell seems to have traveled up to the en suite now and that's where I can smell it most.

Smell seems to go for a bit after a flushing the toilet, the smell appears to be intermittent, some days it can smell really bad then others just mild. The house is around 7 year old and we moved in about 6 months ago.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm based in Rotherham if theirs any plumbers that could help.

Sponsored Links
It also doesn't appear to vent in the loft - the house has three floors, the first two floors have the soil pipe boxed in. Directly above on the 3rd floor, there's no Boxing in.

Thanks for this. Would most plumbers be able to pick this up? I've had all bad experiences with plumbers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. Would most plumbers be able to pick this up? I've had all bad experiences with plumbers.
If a plumber on here covers Rotherham you would be pretty certain they would sort it.;) I'm way down in Sussex.

Bit too far - I've spoken to a plumber this morning who has told me it sounds like the air admittance valve. I'm going to try changing this tonight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back