Soil pipe for new downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!! Although I am new to the site I have used it numerous times to resolve small queries regarding many of the DIY jobs I have done. Now on my third renovation I have come across a very simple to solve problem but just want to check I am barking up the right tree.

I have a very conventional 1st floor toilet with full SPV. This goes directly down, through the garage and into the screed floor. It then hangs a 90deg bend and travels under the house until it is directed toward the first manhole.

As luck would have it, the soil pipe runs as near as dammit to where I want to put a downstairs loo. I have no problem breaking into this and routing the new soil pipe into this.

Bearing in mind I will be fitting a sink in the same downstairs loo area and will but the drainage from this into the new section of soil pipe, do I need to fit an AVV to the new toilet's outlet?

(I am assuming 'yes' as I will need to counteract the negative pressure created by the loo)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies.

I have now unearthed the soil pipe I need to break into. Due to its position being not quite where I needed it (isn't that always the case!!) without breaking up a perfectly good patio, I am re-routing and will definitely fit the AAV now. This is due to it not directly linking into the existing pipe if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
If you havent already planned for it, I would strongly recommend you fit a manhole at the point where your new drain joins the existing pipe. In the event of a blockage between here and your new loo, you have access to get rods in to clear it.

Know where you are coming from but as the distance from the existing manhole to the new section of pipe is so close there is little benefit. I will also stick an access point at the first turn where the soil pipe leaves the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back