Toilet & shower drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a new groundfloor bathroom (toilet, shower and basin) in the middle of the house. I'm planning to run in a new 100mm waste pipe from an existing manhole by chopping a trench across one of the bedroom floors. :rolleyes:

I have some questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. Is there any minimum depth the waste pipe has to be under the bedroom floor?

2. I think the shower/basin waste and toilet connector would have to discharge into a stub stack in the new bathroom with an air admittance valve. How high does the stub stack have to be?

3. Can the shower/basin waste and toilet waste enter the stub stack at the same level (providing they are not directly opposing)?

Sponsored Links
1 no
2 above the flood level
3 at a pinch.

Slope in the pipe should be 1 in 40.

Thanks ChrisR. :D

Before I reach for the pickaxe does "flood level" = the overtopping level of the highest attached item (in this case, the hand basin)?

Sponsored Links
Flood level is the LOWEST open rim, probably the shower tray in your case. Imagine that the new stub stack is blocked below ground. Where will water first start pouring out onto the floor?

As for joining in at the same level, you can get soil pipe Tee junctions with entry points for small pipes on either side. You cut out the plastic in one of these and solvent weld an adapter into the hole.

rob_m said:
Thanks ChrisR. :D

Before I reach for the pickaxe does "flood level" = the overtopping level of the highest attached item (in this case, the hand basin)?

woah! before you start reaching for your pickaxe you need to call your building control office and tell them what you propose to do. They will send someone to check it out and give you the forms to fill in :cry:

Htgeng has a point. One of the things a building inspector will check is something you possibly haven't considered. By digging a trench across a concrete floor you are likely to breach your damp proof membrane. Also, contrary to previous advice, common sense dictates that there is a minimum depth for your pipe. You don't want it so close to the surface that somebody puts a chair leg through it!

If it was mine, I'd want it running entirely below the concrete slab - and I'm not too sure how I'd go about repairing the DPM afterwards. Come to think of it, I'd probably ask a builder!

While I'm on, I've had a second thought about that flood level business. Although flood water will escape from the shower tray first, its pipe is too small to take toilet waste. If you flush a toilet into a blocked drain you don't want it trying to come out through your air valve. Better to take flood level to be the toilet bowl rim. You'll still have to clean up the floor but the valve will stay dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back