Occasionally smelly toilet/basin mystery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

For the last few years I've been noticing a sewage smell that sometimes permeates my downstairs toilet. My house has two toilets, (at opposite ends of the house) one in the bathroom and the other in a very small cloakroom. It is the cloakroom that occasionally stinks - most often when I come to it there is no smell and at other times it stinks (and I'm not meaning the times after it's just been used!). I had the old toilet in there replaced on a plumbers advice as he thought it might be the wax seal (needed replacing anyway) but it did not fix the recurring smell. I have tried to work out a pattern of when it occurs but I cannot find one, it seems to be random. I have tried sniffing around in there but cannot locate the source of the smell. It seems a total mystery!!!

However, it occurred to me today that my cloakroom does not have a soil vent pipe on the outside wall (or any visible soil pipes) like my bathroom toilet does and perhaps the toilet is somehow venting into the room through the basin trap or something?

Anyone had this problem before? What should I do? :?:

Sponsored Links
Here are two photos of under the basin - just so you can see if anything's unusual or suspect?

23m7k8x.jpg

19p8qx.jpg

Buy more Oust :idea: . No seriously , change the trap for a Hep V O waste valve - you should just be able to get it hanging down and then go across to the standing pipe and connect with an elbow ( or tee like the existing) but lower

Sponsored Links
So you think that trap is the source of the smell? How can you tell? Is it not the right type of trap?

Am I correct in thinking that anti-syphoning traps have an air inlet valve after the U-bend? So what kind should I put in?

So you think that trap is the source of the smell? How can you tell? Is it not the right type of trap?

Am I correct in thinking that anti-syphoning traps have an air inlet valve after the U-bend? So what kind should I put in?
a hep one because it stops air coming back and works like an anti vac too . How do we know the smells are coming from there - because we`re plumbers ;) as to a wax seal on a wc - I think your plumber was looking @ U tube and a USA site

In my photos does anyone know why the bottom section of the waste pipes are grey plastic (as opposed to white) and also, at the very back, the vertical grey pipe has a grey plastic screwcap on the top of it - what's that for?

the grey solvent weld pipes are grey because thats what the fella doing the job had in his van or bought to do it.
not sure about the screwcap but i think its a means of undoing in order to get access for inspection or cleaning. very sensible if it is.

If you washed your hands after you used the toilet then the smell wouldn't be there.👍

Fit the self sealing trap and tell whatever smelly urchin who has been using it to wash their hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back